Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Making elderflower cordial

Friends, Birgitta and Manfred at Casa Belén recently gave us some homemade elderflower cordial which we really enjoyed. With its slightly heady aroma, a sharp sweetness and thirst quenching qualities, we thought it would great to go, sooner rather than later, to collect flowers to make our own. We were sure we had missed the main blossoming of the wild elderflower bushes but we managed to collect enough for a decent batch.


We set off along the Camino de Santiago which is about 500 meters from La Pasera and explored some of the many tracks that lead off it to the left and right. Many of the bushes were sited in overgrown meadows now inaccessible due to thick bramble growth which made collection difficult. We carried on as walking the camino is great anyhow and in the end we managed to collect about 50 or 60 newly blossoming flower heads.  We ensured we didn't strip entire bushes thereby leaving some to fruit later in the season.


We searched on line for a recipe and decided to try this one from River Cottage. We also needed to collect lemons but given the plentiful trees around the area we were easily able to gather enough for our needs. In this recipe we needed 6 for zest but only used the juice of 3.


In total we made about three and half litres which we will use over the coming weeks. We also made some ice cubes with the undiluted cordial for using in a nice sparkling wine or Cava. If we get chance we intend to make another batch but that really does depend on finding elder flowers that are not turning to fruit.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely! I made a load of cordial a few years ago - but the family never really took to it. I loved it. The ice-cube idea sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It freezes just a bit sticky but looking forward to trying it.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of frozen cordial cubes to add to sparkling wine. I wasn't going to make any cordial this year as I still have a couple of bottles from last year lurking in the freezer ... but I may do some now! However I am making elderflower champagne today ... in plastic bottles where I can let the excess gas out having had a glass bottle explode a few years ago :0
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might freeze some cordial although we've put it in sterilised bottles and made it with citric acid, and... bain marie so it should keep well I hope.

      Delete
  3. I make 50+ litres a year and seal as I would jam to preserve for the year. Wonderful stuff! My kids love it, and although it's pretty sugary, I'm far happier that they drink it than shop bought equivalents.

    I too like the ice cube idea, although as I'm lacking a freezer I won't be testing it!

    For another unusual idea, try using a small amount in salad dressing. Tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about shop bought v homemade - our thoughts exactly.

      Delete
  4. just the inspiration I need!

    ReplyDelete

Click link to read more.